This year, we will once again have “Virtual” Obon Festival activities instead our usual Obon Festival activities at the temple. Most notably, we will have our Opportunity Drawing, Silent Auction, and Marketplace Merchandise Sale (T-Shirts, Backpacks, and Vaccination Card Holders). You can also become an Obon Sponsor.
Other activities may be added, depending on the status of “Stay at Home” restrictions and social distancing requirements. Please visit this web page and our Facebook page for updates.
Venice Hongwanji Buddhist Temple (VHBT) gratefully thanks and acknowledges SPONSORS of our 2021 Obon Commemoration. To become an Obon sponsor, please visit https://givebutter.com/VHBTObonSponsor or complete the form HERE. Thank you to our Sangha and community for your generous support!.
- In Memory of Butch and Reva Hisashima
- In Memory of Minoru and Betty M. Hisashima
- In Memory of Chikao & Mary Kujubu, Dino & Colleen Belli
- In Memory of Ray Enomoto
- In Memory of Min Kumagai
- In Memory of Min Kumagai
- In Memory of Kazuo and Kazuko Kuwada
- In Memory of Dan Matsumura
- In Memory of James & Akimi Mayeda
- In Memory of Nancy Fumi (Mayeda) Saber
- In Memory of Edward Toshiyuki Morimoto
- In Memory of Nancy Nakagiri
- In Memory of Gram & Lillian Noriyuki
- In Memory of Mary Hatsuye Somen
- In Memory of Morikichi Somen
- In Memory of Hiro Suzuki
- In Memory of Curtis Tachiki, Love, Dad & Mom
- In Memory of Joseph Tachiki, Love, Jiichan & Baachan
- In Memory of Gary Uyeno
- In Memory of John & Mitsuko Yamamoto, George & Miyoko Koyama
- Kei & Tomoko Fukuda
- Girl Scout Troop 5325
- Akemi Hayashibara, DDS & Eugene Hayashibara, DDS
- Phyllis & Eugene Hayashibara
- Milnes & Nori Kurashige
- Hitoshi Shimizu
- Mari and Randy Tamura
- Marina Cub Pack 79
- Mike Tanaka
- Carey & Vicki Tokirio & Family
- Judy & Tom Yamaguchi
- Angel Maid Bakery
- Kubota Mortuary
- Union Bank of California
Our Opportunity Drawing offers the chance to win the Grand Prize of $1000 cash, or our 2nd and 3rd prizes of $500 and $300, respectively. In addition, through the generosity of local merchants and Temple members, a number of other prizes will be available.
The Drawing will be held on Sunday, July 18th, 2021 at 11:00AM, immediately following our Live Stream Sunday Service. Winners need not be present and will be notified by e-mail or phone.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (310) 391-4351 for more information.
Our 7th annual silent auction will open on June 19th for taking bids.
Visit www.32auctions.com/2021vhbtobon to see and bid on all of our auction items!
- Follow the easy steps online to register to bid on 32auctions. If you have an account from last year, it’s still good this year.
- You may enter your bid(s) online or take advantage of our “Buy It Now” option, which ensures you are the winning bidder.
- Questions? Contact Aya Masada at (310) 418-1453 or Tommy Nakagiri at (310) 892-4686.
Bidding starts on June 19, 2021 at 9AM and closes on July 18, 2020 at 11 AM.
Marketplace Merchandise Sale
Our “virtual’ marketplace has the following for sale:
- 2021 Obon T-Shirts
Features our very special design, created by our own very talented Dustin Noriyuki. Available in Men’s and Women’s styles in blue for $22 and Children’s style in red for $20.
- Obon Tote Bags
Our Obon T-shirt design is also available on a tote bag (red or purple). $12 each.
- Vaccination Card Holder
Protect your vaccination card with this slim but sharp card holder. Fits perfect in a purse or backpack, or even in your pocket. $5 each.
- “Dancer in Training” Drawstring Backpacks
Made from our famous Dancer in Training T-Shirts, this black drawstring backpack was handmade and is designed for easy toting or wearing on your back. $20 each.
- ”Dancer in Training” T-Shirts
Caution, Obon Dancer in Training. These are the words that appears on the back of the shirt while the front has Venice Hongwanji Buddhist Temple over a pocket sized Sufarifuji (wisteria). $10 a shirt, or 3 for $20.
- Venice Hongwanji Happi Coats
Get an official Venice Hongwanji Happi Coat! The Happi is white with red lettering and trim. $75 each ($65 for temple members).
To purchase any of the items, you can Order Online or complete the Marketplace Order Form and return by mail or email. We will contact you to arrange pickup at the Temple. Shipping will be available for an additional cost – contact us for details.
Experience Obon Odori right in your living room!
Virtual Bon Odori
Dancing via Zoom
Saturday, July 17th at 7:00PM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 889 5247 3222
Dharma School Sponsored Obon Activities
Washi Paper Lantern Making
with Emily Kariya
Sat., July 17th at 10 am
Rice Krispies Sushi Making
with Leslie Nakahara
Sat.,]uly 17th at 1 pm
Tenugui (Japanese Towel) Decorating
With Janis Ozaki
Sat., July 17th at 4 pm
“I GOT IT” (BINGO)
Sun., July 18th at 1 pm
If you would like to participate in any of the activities, please RSVP to ObonWorkshops@vhbt.org and a Zoom link will be sent as the date gets closer.
There will be a limited number of Lantern kits and tenugui that can be picked up from the Temple. Please let us know if you would like us to reserve one or both for you.
Virtual Scavenger Hunt
Be on the lookout for details coming soon.